Saturday, January 28, 2012

January Goal

I decided not to make any New Year's Resolutions this year.  Instead, I am setting goals.  One of my goals is to finish one U.F.O. (Unfinished Fabric Object) each month.  I have more than enough to get through 2012 and perhaps even 2013!

So, my first UFO completion is the quilt I started at the Quilt Escape retreat that I went to in 2010.  I took a class from Peg Bingham who has developed a method to make the Celtic knot quilts using a pieced method instead of applique.  This is my quilt entitled "2B or Knot 2B."  This may require a little explanation!

There is a lot of strip cutting for this quilt and to keep everything straight, Peg encourages you to cut all similar strips and put them in a baggie with labels.  For example, Fabric 1 might have pieces in different lengths labeled A, B, C, D - you get the picture.  So, I decided that the name of my quilt would be "2B or Knot 2B" - get it?  LOL.

Here is a close-up of the center design.


I outline quilted all of the interlocking strips and then stipple quilted in all of the background spaces.  I created a celtic-style design in the corners and on either side which I outlined and stippled to bring out the design. Here is the corner design.
Here is the design on the side.

And here are some views of the back.




This was my first attempt at something like this, so I know there is lots of room for improvement.  But, overall, I'm pretty pleased with the result.

I've got the quilt from last year's retreat on the machine now.  So I'm hoping to get it finished in time to post next month.

In the meantime, here is a look at my current Winter theme for the fireplace mantle.


 I used candles to coordinate with the colors in the wreath.  Each of the candle holders is a slightly different shape for interest.  The mantle cover is something I made many years ago.  It is pieced but not actually quilted.

Until the next time......................

Pam









No comments:

Post a Comment