Saturday, January 1, 2011

A New Year Begins

HAPPY NEW YEAR! 

I started this blog a year ago and then I'm not sure what happened, but the year took off and I never seemed to catch up!  So, my one and only resolution for this year is to SIMPLIFY MY LIFE. 

One project I did manage to finish by Christmas was a large stuffed elephant for each of my four grandchildren.  The pattern is "Eloise and Elmore" by Indygo Junction.  I fell in love with this pair of elephants (one large, one small) when I visited the Nautical Needle Quilt Shop up on the Marblehead Peninsula on Lake Erie in Northern Ohio.  So, I made four of the larger elephants and gave them to the grandkids for Christmas.  The pattern was pretty simple to follow.  But the one thing I found a little awkward was that the body and head are put together and stuffed separately - then you hand stitch the head to the body.  All the other seams are machine stitched and are pretty sturdy.  But I felt that hand-stitching the head to the body was a weak point.  I did use some stronger thread, even hand quilting thread, and even went around the neck twice.  Time will tell if they will hold up to use by toddlers! 

I still love the pattern and plan to try to redesign the assembly so that the head and body are machine stitched together.  I'll let you know how that goes!


The pattern also called for putting felt & button eyes.  I did not want anything that the kids could possibly pull off and choke on.  And I could not find an embroidery pattern for animal eyes that looked right.  So, I found an embroidery for a vase of flowers and edited it down to one bloom which I duplicated and manuevered to the location of where the eyes were to be placed.  It wasn't exactly what I wanted, but it worked.  If anyone knows of an animal eye embroidery pattern out there, let me know!  I found cartoon eyes and horse eyes - but nothing that seemed suitable for my elephants!

Well, stop back on a weekly basis to see what I'm working on.  I've decided that writing this blog at least once a week is an activity that will add value to my life and help keep me on track.  So please let me know what you think.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!  And may 2011 be peaceful and prosperous for you, your family and friends.

Pam

1 comment: